Thursday 10 June 2010

Principio erat Verbum

My uncle made me a window-blind for my bathroom. It is cream fabric covered with writing. The phrase repeated throughout is "principio erat verbum". I would stare at it while showering, trying to work out what it could mean. Things like this drive me mad - I have to know! I now know it means "in the beginning was the word" which my Uncle must have thought was very appropriate :)

Another example of an everyday expression that plagued me is "Q.E.D" or "Quod erat demonstrandum" meaning "that which was to be demonstrated". I am considered mad because every time I find a word I do not know I have to write it down to find out.

I often carry a mini-dictionary, which really encourages strange looks from passers-by. I really wish I had taken Latin at school. It would have made living in my head so much easier!

No comments: