Thursday 17 June 2010

Crazy Man?

An old man got on the bus this morning. He was wearing a baseball cap and a huge grin. As he found his seat he was talking to the people around him. Some of them responded with a brief acknowledgement but most just looked at the floor or out of the window.

Why do we avoid people with which we share such close contact? Why is it only people who are considered ‘crazy’ feel completely comfortable talking to anybody and everybody? We could sit next to a person with an amazing life-story but we will never know because we are afraid that we will be considered crazy ourselves.

I was passing a man in the street as he sneezed. Without thinking I said “bless you” and he looked at me as though I had a duck on my head. I smiled at an old lady and she looked at me like I had just tried to steal her handbag.

By building these walls around us we aren’t protecting ourselves, we are hiding. Don’t get me wrong, I am as guilty of this as everyone else, but I am at a loss for an excuse. Time to start striking up conversations. It could be fun…

No comments: